Saturday, January 30, 2010

Chikoo Ice Cream


On the odd occasion i like to get some Mango ice cream from TROPICAL in Al Khuwair. It's home made and really creamy. This time being a little adventurous, as I have no idea what the various other ice cream flavours are (they have Indian names for many of them), I decided to try the other flavours. So I ask the guy behind the counter if I can try the Chickoo ice cream. After tasting it and being completely surprised - it was actually very delicious, I asked him what Chickoo is and he looks at me with surprise and says it's a fruit - like I should know what it is! Well I have never heard of this fruit before and actually don't even recognise it after googling it!

So according to Wikipedia -

Sapodilla (Manilkara achras [Mill. (Fosberg)]) is a long-lived, evergreen tree native to southern Mexico, Central America and the West Indies.[1] It is grown in huge quantities in India, Mexico and was introduced to the Philippines during Spanish colonisation.
Sapodilla is known as chikoo ("चिक्कू" or "chiku," "चीकू,") in Pakistan & India and sapota in some parts of India (Tamil Nadu, Karnataka)

I have not seen and did not know that London Dairy make a version of it as well - BUT i must say Tropical's home made version is good enough for me! Mango is OUT for awhile!

No comments:

Post a Comment